Windshield Replacement or Repairs – Why We Won’t Wash Your Car If The Windshield is Chipped
A Chipped or Cracked Windshield Spells TROUBLE.
The summer heat wave is upon us again. Temperatures are rising and your windshield cracks are getting bigger by the minute. If you don’t believe me just take another look at your windshield. No chip! then you have nothing to worry about.
Customers are asking about our complimentary free car washes. But if your windshield is chipped or cracked, you have to steer clear off car washes, free or not, or else you will soon be looking for a replacement windshield. Call Banner glass right now and have your windshield repaired, before it’s too late.
Now, this is what happens when you bring your vehicle to the service center. We place a ticket on it and park it outside in the parking lot. And when the technician gets to your vehicle he pulls it into the shop, completes the repair job or service, test drives the car and then parks your car outside.
After the technician’s work is complete, the lot attendent takes over. The lot attendant picks up the keys and drives your car into the free car wash.
Now, when the icy cold soapy water hits your hot and chipped windshield, the result is shattered glass, not a pretty sight at all. That is why we won’t wash your car if the windshield is chipped.
However, your vehicle’s windshield is made of specialized catalyzed adhesives that are used to form a chemical bond in order to minimize shattering.
Modern windshields are made of two curved sheets of glass with a Polyvinyl Butyrate laminated layer between the two pieces of glass for safety reasons.
Advantages of laminated windshields include;
- Minimizes cracks, thus prevents injury to occupants.
- Does not obstruct the drivers view.
- Can be easily repaired and does not need not be replaced every time it’s damaged.
- UV coating can be applied to it to filter out harmful UV rays.
Our customers tend to drive more during the summer than in winter, thus a little chip or crack in the windshield will soon expand into a crack.
So, here are a few precautions you might want to take in order to prevent expensive windshield replacement costs.
- Inspect the chip or crack and have your windshield repaired as soon as possible.
- Do not touch the windshield chip as you may contaminate the damaged area with moisture from your fingerprint.
- Apply a clear piece of tape on the windshield chip to keep it free of contaminants.
- Do not put your car through a car wash unless you want to replace your windshield.
- Do not slam car doors. Vibrations may cause your windshield chip to form into a crack.
- Do not park the car out in the hot sun.
- Do not run the AC on high, a rapid change in internal temperature can stress out and weaken the windshield, causing it to fail.
- Use a certified windshield repair man to do the job.
- Ask for original equipment glass (OEM) and quality glass and sealants. Ask for Volvo Windshields from a Volvo Dealership, dont get some poor quality aftermarket winshield just because it’s cheap.
As Benjamin Franklin famously put it ” an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure“. Preventive car maintenace is always cheaper than a major repair. As for you my Volvo friends, to be forewarned is to be forearmed. Spread the word.
- Oh No! The Check Engine Light is On (4)
- A Deadly Recipe For A Volvo Heart Attack (0)
- Volvo Bulb Failure Warning Lights And What They Mean (1)
- DC Volvo Body Repairs – How To Survive A Collision With A Huge Deer (1)
- Volvo Car Battery (part 4) – Buying Tips (3)
- Volvo Fuel Economy – How To Improve Your Gas Mileage (6)
- ASE Washington DC Volvo – Tips For Choosing a Volvo Service Center (3)
- Volvo Pre-road Trip Checklist: 7 Things You Can Do Yourself Today (0)
- Volvo Car Keys – How Transponder Chip Keys Protect Your Car From Thieves (12)
- Washington DC Area Volvo Dealers – Where To Take Your Volvo For Service (0)
|Print article||This entry was posted by volvotonny on June 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm, and is filed under Volvo Service Tips. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.|
Comments are closed.